SUBJECT: National MOAA and Local Chapter Dues
Over the past few weeks I have been asked the question:
"Why do I have to pay Chapter dues if I am a member of the National MOAA Organization and pay annual dues there or am a Life Member of MOAA national?"
Although our Chapter (and all other local Chapters) are part of MOAA's National structure and network, all chapters are separate entities, responsible for their own funding.
MOAA conducts functions on a national scale, for example:
• Lobbying with the US Congress on benefits and entitlements for military members, retirees and military families on a National scale
• Offering counseling and assistance to its members worldwide; for example:
o Career transition assistance
o Survivor benefit counseling
• Offering products and services to its members worldwide; for example:
o Insurance products such as TRICARE Supplements, Term Life insurance, and Long Term Care insurance
o Product and services discounts such as travel, Dell and Apple computers, sports and outdoor equipment, apparel, jewelry, etc.
o Financial calculators, tax guide, Estate planning and other resources For more information go to:
o More information on these features and others is available at: http://www.moaa.org/Main_Menu/Access_Member_Benefits/Access_Member_Benefits.html
Local Chapters offer local opportunities, for example:
• Luncheons and social gatherings
• Local JROTC Scholarships
• Support of local military events and programs, such as Wilmington's annual Massing of the Colors
• Liaison with local elected officials on matters of military interest
• A Chapter Website and Newsletter
You do not have to be a member of National MOAA to be a member of our Chapter, but we strongly encourage National MOAA membership because of the strong voice it gives us in Congress.
Click on the Downloads below for Regular Membership or Surviving Spouse Applications. You can mail to address on the forms or fill in your info, scan and email back to the email address below.
If you have any questions on this please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-686-6905
Why National MOAA Membership?
Although it is not necessary to be a member of National MOAA to be a SENCLAND Chapter member, we strongly encourage it.
National MOAA membership ensures that we have a strong voice with Congress on matters of importance to active duty, Reserve and Guard, retired Service men & women and their families.
There are three levels of National MOAA membership:
Basic Membership: This is a free electronic membership that provides the opportunity to experience what MOAA is all about. You'll stay current with MOAA e-newsletters and have opportunities to participate in grassroots activism efforts.
Premium Membership: This level provides full access to everything MOAA has to offer, including unlimited access to the full spectrum of MOAA National's career resources, financial-planning advice, and all MOAA-exclusive publications and news updates. That’s on top of all the benefits included at the BASIC Membership level. Dues are paid annually.
Life Membership: This level of MOAA provides the greatest level of benefits...all of the benefits of Premium membership, plus:
• Direct Access to Staff Experts via MOAA’s LIFE Member Hotline.
• Protection for Your Spouse. LIFE membership privileges automatically transfer to your spouse after your death at no cost. This provides quick access to expert advice on survivor benefits and services.
• Bonus Rewards and Travel Discounts. Earn an additional 7,500 rewards points for use on your first trip when you book through MOAA's vacation center.
• Discounts for products and services such as car rentals, computers, hotels and insurance
• One time dues payment which covers you and your surviving spouse for life.
For more information on National MOAA membership: http://www.moaa.org/Main_Menu/Access_Member_Benefits/Access_Member_Benefits.html